Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thumbs Up


Elsi was kind enough to email me to ask if I was OK. I am...in fact, I expect to be better than all right in a couple months.


I had a joint replacement in my thumb last week. Arthritis had worn away the cartilage in all my finger joints and my thumb has been particularly troublesome because I can't grip. My sister Janice Freeman has had similar surgery years ago, though her surgeon used a tendon to cushion the joint, a procedure called Excisional Arthroplasty.


Joint replacements in fingers have been almost 100 percent failures with the exception of the major thumb joint, which now has a long-enough success record (6 years) that I elected to go with the prosthetic implant rather than the tendon cushion. If this doesn't work, I'll have to have the same surgery Janice had. But I'm hopeful.


And I'm grateful. I have a tremendous amount of metal in my left side now (hip, shoulder, 3 fingers). I'm no bionic woman but the improvement in quality of life is a blessing.


Now that I've learned to type with one hand and a couple fingers, I'll be back to posting. Tasha and I have continued to walk, me using my hiking pole to protect my new hip/shoulder/now hand on the ice.


It's all good. And it's all God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!

Bob Sanchez said...

Hey Kathy, you have such a positive outlook on life and its curveballs. Good for you, not letting arthritis get you down. I hope you're back 100 percent one day soon.

Mike Dellosso said...

Hi Kathy! Wow, I didn't even know they did joint replacement with fingers. My prayers are with you. I guess you'll be visiting your local occupational therapist now, huh?