Thursday, December 13, 2007

From Bones to Gravy

Ah, Tasha's mouth is already watering.

But we're not talking dog food...we're talking food that is healthy and amazingly delicious. My sister Janice Freeman, a medical professional/health trainer/superb cook, is trying her hand at blogging. She's sharing health, fitness, and food tips on her blog:




Living to Cook, Cooking Well to Live Well



This is her picture, finishing a trialathon last summer. Janice is a woman who hadn't been on a bicycle in my living memory! I urged her into the cyber-conversation because she has so much knowledge, experience, and inspiration that we can all benefit from. I'm going to share her story in own words...


At age 48, I weighed over 300 lbs and daily life was becoming harder and harder. My body would soon succumb to Type 2 Diabetes, as my fasting blood sugar was 115 and climbing. I had to make some changes, but what and how? I "dieted" off and on all my life, and knew it didn't work. I also knew exercise had to become part of my daily lifestyle.


A full time job and a seat on my local Board of Education made that quite a challenge. But if I could just start making one permanent change at a time, maybe I could get healthier. I didn't care about the looks, but health became my primary issue. A journey that is still in progress began. Now a healthy weight and size, in a 61 year old body that completed its first Triathlon this year, I want to offer whatever I can to anyone facing the same struggle.

She does not diet. She cooks well, eats well, lives well. She is a wonderful wife, great mom and grandmom, and terrific sister.

The only thing missing from her life is the dog.

Check her out, and ask questions galore!



3 comments:

Janice Freeman said...

But I have a picture of Shalom (our mother's dog)and many of Abby (our dog, years ago)in my family album, isn't that enough dog?

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

I can't believe that you have let her get away with not having a dog!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the heads up - I was diagnosed as insulin resistant right around a year ago - lots of good ideas on her blog.